Monday, July 19, 2010

ROCK 'N ROWE!

I totally stole that from my new BFF Cali Ressler!  I'm pretty sure she is starting to catch on to the fact that I'm a creeper of sorts - I sent her a picture of me today.  Weird, I know.  But see, their website has pictures of their team members so whenever I'm on the phone with them, I know who I'm speaking to.  But we don't have our pictures on our website, so they really don't know who they are speaking to when I'm on the phone or emailing with them.  So I was really just trying to be polite by sending my picture!  I'm like that - courteous. 

Today Cali and I talked via phone to go over a few questions I had and to also set the date for the ROWE implementation workshop.  Thank God she's not an attorney, I cannot shut my mouth when I'm on the phone with her.  It would be so much easier if we could just sit around on the floor with a keg of wine and hash this stuff out. But then I would likely also forget everything she is conveying to me - so it's for the best that we are forced to talk on the phone or over email.  I should likely confirm she's not charging me by the minute for those calls. 

Things are moving so quickly now that my mind is reeling - ROWE implementation; office move; new technology for training, phone system, and who knows what else at this point - we're exploring everything and have torn down the walls that have been confining our thinking for so long and just going crazy with change!  I hope the staff can accept it, embrace it, foster it and grow from it!  (And also I hope they can keep up after sitting stagnant for such a long period of time - I think they can - they're a pretty cool group and surely we haven't totally killed their spirit with the stifling culture).

Cali has promised to assign a babysitter to me.  Or maybe she's my psychiatrist?  She gave her the link to this blog - HI STACEY!!!  Cali assures me that Stacey will ensure that my sanity is maintained through this.  THANKS STACEY!  And if you manage to salvage my sanity through this - have I got a job for you at my house!!

First things first:  Get the book in here - it's en route currently and will be passed out to all staff on August 3rd at the company meeting.  (I thought it was the 2nd - but it's the 3rd.  See.  Already confused!)  Also at that meeting we will be launching our new campaign for our training center - which will include new technology and a new name!  And also we will announce the move to new space.  AND last, but not least, my colleague and I are presenting the CEO with a custom framing of his article that was recently published in a business publication!  I can't wait for this meeting!  I bought a new dress - but only one - it's for when the CultureRX experts come to conduct our implementation workshop.  (It was on CLEARANCE - don't judge!)  But now I'm thinking I want a new outfit for the company meeting that day also - because so many cool, fresh ideas are being presented and all!    Yes.  I realize the culture is the most important thing and this blog is about THAT journey - but a gal needs new clothes too and when you see an Antonio Melani 75% off - you have to buy it.  That's just how the world works. 

Anyway - today I also met with the new landlord, who is also conveniently a corporate interior designer.  We went back through the new space, discussed the new ROWE plan (he looked at me like I was crazy - he was likely thinking we'll end up out of business and questioning his decision to lease to us for 5 years) - how the office would become a tool, what we want to accomplish with the space/layout, etc.  AND - here's the super amazing part - I gave up my big office. I totally did.  Instead, I offered to split my office with my colleague.  So he and I will have a shared space to use when we are physically at the office.  Fortunately he lives in a house full of females so he's already been well trained and is super easy to get along with.  Plus - I'm totally driven by impulse most of the time, and he's a thinker - so I think we'll make a well-balanced team in that shared space.  The designers should have an initial drawing to me as early as Wednesday of this week!  I can't wait to see it!  I also hope we can get it all done within our limited budget.

The new landlord is so awesome that he also agreed to let us use the new space for our ROWE Implementation workshop!  I am so excited about that because the space is so radically different than the morgue in which we currently "work."  I think I might kiss that landlord and his designers before this is all over!  They told me the building has a tin roof and when it rains it is very loud and that sometimes herds flocks of birds will land on the roof and you can hear their little toes running around.  I don't care.  I think it sounds fun!  The front door allows an amazing view to the west - which means that I can see the storms coming in without the trees blocking my view.  (Which does remind me I did not ask where the fraidy hole is located in case of a tornado - I better find out). 

The boss is STILL totally on board with this plan!  And to prove it - he's practicing his anti-sludge skills with me.  I was running behind this morning due to a mix-up with the driver's ed teacher (not mine - my daughter's).  So I emailed him to let him know the issue and that I'd be at the office shortly.  He didn't respond at all and when I joined our 8:30 call 2 minutes late - he didn't ask any questions or skip a beat.  On that same call, he discovered one of his direct reports was on vacation today - as per his calendar.  He didn't say a word about that either.  Then, this afternoon, I had to decline a meeting request from the boss - I really could not make the meeting because my son is having his wisdom teeth pulled that day.  The boss just replied and said, "All meeting are optional".  He WANTS this to work.  I can tell he does.  That is very encouraging to me!

So, in the words of Cali - We are ready to ROCK 'N ROWE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment