Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I have no clue what day I'm on - but it's a GREAT ONE!

I don't even remember what started it actually.  I do recall that as it was happening, I was thinking I should be taking notes or recording the whole thing so I could replay it over and over and over again.  I'll try to recount it as accurately as I can, but frankly it's rather a blur.

We headed out to our typical weekly manager's lunch, but unlike other weeks, we stopped first to look at some new office space.  I had suggested earlier in the day that perhaps during lunch we could talk about what we needed from a space - what we hoped to achieve from the space.  I was really looking for a segue to bringing up ROWE because earlier I had gotten the documentation from Cali and I was pretty excited about bringing the idea to the table, but I was also very scared of being shot down, so I was looking for the right moment, the right opportunity to mention it and I figured a discussion around space might provide me that opportunity.

The first space we looked at was, odd, at best.  Old, outdated, configured with large executive offices - complete with fireplaces and large stuffed blue marlins.  The boss really dug that big corner office with the fire place though.  So while he admired what could possibly be his office, I made one simple statement:  "Perhaps later you can explain to me how this will help us reach our goals."  Then I was mad at myself for saying it.  This has really not been my week for keeping my tongue.  I feared I might have set him off and perhaps ruined my chance to bring up ROWE this week.  But when we got to the restaurant, we started talking about growth, addition of people, which obviously lead into space.  And this is where it gets foggy for some reason - maybe I blacked out from the excitement? 

As we talked about adding people, we determined they wouldn't need to be on-site people - that we could hire anyone from anywhere in the country - we already have remote employees -so why continue to limit ourselves to local talent if we could broaden our pool of talent nationwide.  And then we started talking about managing those folks and perhaps the need to really work hard on coming up with performance goals to measure remote employees' performance rather than just "time" or activities.  And it just so happens that the highway the boss uses to commute to work is under construction this week and it's taking him 2 hours to get home in the evenings and so we started talking about what a waste that was - how that 2 hours could be spent on other more productive activities.  And then the next thing I know - he's talking about letting everyone work remote and rather than having this giant office - instead have an office space with work pods for people to use when they wanted or needed.  And my colleague and I just sat there - dumbfounded as the boss spilled forth the idea that I was wanting to present to him....all on his own. With not really any coaxing.  It was honestly the most bizarre thing.  When the boss went to the bathroom, I suggested I might want to purchase a lottery ticket tonight because for the last week - everything I have "thought" has honestly come to BE. 

And when he returned from the bathroom - he continued with his thoughts and ideas about this whole optional type office that people could use if they wanted or needed.  And he mentioned how put out he was that the chairman would even suggest he was not working when he wasn't present in the office last week.  And he became more and more animated about the idea.

And then as we looked at the next two office spaces on the list - he communicated to the potential landlords that our needs had changed since they first talked - that instead we were looking to offer space for employees to use as needed or desired and might not need as much space as we originally thought.  And he was totally jazzed on how "hip" and "cool" and "high tech" the concept was.  It was so fun - because then I brought up my social media idea and we threw PBX phone technology out there, and cloud help desk solutions - and he was buzzing with excitement around the idea of just how really amazing AND SCALABLE we could be with just a few tweaks.  And he decided that a move along with the introduction of a new culture could be the new future for this company and so now he is ready to get things moving quickly!

So when we got back to the office - I approached him alone and I had in my hand my "Work Sucks and How to Fix It" book - and I asked him if he might have time to read a book over the weekend.  He said he could make time and asked if he should only read certain parts or the entire thing.  I suggested he read the entire thing - and to try to ignore my highlighted pages.  He asked if it was relevant to our discussions and I assured him it was SPOT ON to the ideas HE introduced at lunch.  And that it was almost frighteningly similar to this book.  I then told him how I'd been talking to Cali, and how I had a proposal from her and that I really felt that if we were going to do something this bleeding edge - we should likely hire a professional to help us because it is so contrary to what we all think of as "work" - that we really do NOT want to screw this up.  He talked more about the whole work space and explained that that is really how HE works and thought it could be so liberating and empowering if everyone could work that way.  He said he remembered his old way of working and how much he hated it and really didn't want to be making other people feel the way his boss's of yore had made him feel. 

He committed to read the book.  I am delighted!  I am ecstatic!  I am hopeful!  I am also scared out of my living mind.  But in a positive way.  I'm definitely up to this.  I'm definitely committed to it.  But I also feel a little naked - I loaned him MY copy of the book - it's been my Bible since I read it.  I refer to it frequently - rereading the parts I highlighted - looking for new parts I may have missed.  I can hardly wait for Monday to hear his thoughts!!! 

Tomorrow - staff meeting with my team - we are going to present to each other our results from the exercise of the Lamplighter - list your task - state the value.  I really am looking forward to this feedback and dialogue with the group.  I just hope they are honest - otherwise the exercise really won't accomplish what I hope it will - which is to either bring to light how their activities drive results OR bring to MY light what they are working on that is adding no value and can just be done away with so more effort can be afforded to results!  Stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. How do you do it?!! How do you get your boss to come up with your plan all on his own? Are you one of those charmed people?!! Does stuff like this always happen to you?!!! It takes me months and months of pushing and prodding to get management to move an inch. Yes, it's worth it, but still...an idea THIS BIG coming on this strong. You are the shit girl!!
    Be ready for the change up...he's gonna get scared at the massive change in front of him and back pedal...they always do...so you just keep on being positive and coming on strong. It will happen...it's just gonna be that old two steps forward and one step back dance. My money's on you!!!

    ReplyDelete