Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Change is NOT Easy

Today, when I got up, I was still very tired from the long holiday weekend and not really feeling committed to the day and the projects ahead.  And as I continued to prepare to leave for the office, that didn't change.  I thought about calling in, but that would be lying, I wasn't sick.  I was just TIRED and NOT on top of my game and I knew it.  But I drug myself in there anyway and tried VERY hard to put on my new happy face and really set an example and be a great leader.

I should have stayed home. 

I was snippy with people during a morning meeting, and everyone else seemed fairly snippy also.  I really don't know why we plan meetings on the first day back after a long holiday weekend.  People are tired.  They're not in the groove yet, their patience is thin and their willingness to be flexible is completely absent.

And as I trudged through the day, I found myself just wanting to do things the old way.  It would be easier.  It wouldn't take much effort - to just sit and be present and kill 9 hours - but it would be contrary to the bigger mission.  But alas, in honesty, it's pretty much how I spent most of my day - in meetings and just biding my time. 

I hope to get more rest tonight and get back in the game tomorrow!  I haven't given up and I'm not going to give up.  I just should have stayed home and kept to myself today. 

I held a meeting with member of my team to discuss selling services in chunks of deliverables instead of chunks of time.  My fire wasn't there, so I felt like I was leading them down slippery slope of death and destruction, instead of blazing a trail into what could become a new world for them.  They seem on board with it - but at the same time - I sense some level of trepidition.  Maybe that's just because it's the unknown.  Or just maybe because it is change itself.  We're going to go ahead and plow forward with that change for now - hopefully it will work.

In the meantime - NO more meetings on first days back after holiday weekends.  I need to remember that.  And must have MORE sleep.  Change is hard.  It requires focus.  Dedication.  Concentration.  Sleep.  But it's not impossible!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment