Sunday, August 1, 2010

Two Days

It's seriously all I can think about and talk about.  Tuesday.  The day we get to rock everyone's world with the big announcement.  My friends are certainly sick of hearing about it - and likely why they are steering clear of me.  Although they are not nearly as excited as I am.  They don't "get" it.  They are intrigued by it and it sounds neat to them, but they're pretty sure it will be a short-lived effort that will quickly go bad and be reversed.  That once the newness wears off and the excitement wanes, we will just return to our old culture and life will go back to normal.  While their negativity is a downer, it also is an encourager to me.  I will prove them wrong by doing everything I can to make certain this does not go poorly.  They'll see.  And they'll be sorry they doubted me. 

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how my direct staff and I will determine the desired results for our department.  They don't and cannot typically work on deadlines.  So much of their work load is determined by customer demand and on customers' time schedule.  We cannot define it by number of calls taken, responded to, etc. because we really have no idea how many calls will come in.  It has to be a goal that is more esoterical in nature I think.  I have to really give this some heavy thought and start formulating my ideas and putting them on paper.  I'm also thinking that different people will have different desired results because their roles are slightly different.  And to be honest, I'm getting a little nervous about my ability to manage in this manner.  I know I can do it.  I'm capable of doing it.  It's just not how I've been doing it for a very long time, so I have to give it some serious thought and consideration.  It's also possible that in some ways I have been doing it, but I've never actually thought about it and written it down. 

Friday I went and picked out the fabrics for the new office space.  That's fun!  Picking out fabrics.  I'm spacially retarded so I really do not "get" how this space is going to look when completed, but I trust the designer helping me so I'm pretty must just giving her ideas my blessing and moving forward with whatever she suggests. 

I must make a point to start taking notes throughout the day about things to enter in this blog - I find that by the time I get home and sit down to update our journey, I've forgotten many of the details.  And it is the details that I want journal.  Counting down.....

No comments:

Post a Comment