Monday, August 2, 2010

One Day - Well actually now just shy of 13 hours....

I'm a nervous wreck.  The anxiety has set in full force at this point.  Will everyone be thrilled?  Will there be naysayers?  How will the naysayers affect my excitement?  Will I be tolerant and let them process through it?  Or will I just absolutely snap?  I'm praying for courage, patience, tolerance - strength to see this dream through to the implementation.

Yesterday and most of today I was paralyzed.  At a total loss as to "how" this would be announced.  What would be said?  How could I be convincing?  Enthusiastic?  Finally, tonight, I sat down by the pool with a very-intentionally-watered-down margarita and just wrote.  Pen to paper.  Thoughts.  And somehow, at the end of 20 minutes, I had drafted something that I believe is heart-felt - that everyone will be able to relate to.  I've read it no less than 6 times in 4 hours.  And each time I feel good about it.  I'm going with my gut.

Which is a nice segue into another story.  Today, I went to pick up the customized framing of the CEO's published article.  It was NOT what I wanted at all.  It was about 90% what I wanted.  Okay - well maybe 98% of what I wanted.  When I dropped it off back on JULY 19th (because it evidently takes THAT long to frame something), I had this feeling that the guy did not "get" what I was saying.  He was not the best speaker of the English language and I feared we might not be communicating that day.  So I went over it with him numerous times.  He drew some arrows and assured me he would remember what they meant.  Well, evidently he did NOT remember.  Because the damned thing does NOT have the NAME OF THE PUBLICATION.  I thanked him and left and then I was irate.  At myself.  For not telling him it was NOT what I wanted.  And as I drove home, I was disappointed - now the whole thing is ruined and I'm not excited about that part of tomorrow any longer because I will look like an idiot because EVERYONE will wonder "why didn't she get the name of the publication in the collage?"  Because everyone knows THAT is the proper way to do it.  But evidently, after taking my order Claudio (that is his name), went on vacation.  And he JUST returned and when I phoned at 12:30 today he hadn't even started on it.  And I asked if I needed to come by and go over it with him again and he said that wasn't necessary and he'd have it to me by 4:30.  So I was angry at his shoddy work.  When I got home, I retrieved all the left-overs from the bag, HOPING that one of the two copies of the publication still had a salvagable title page so I could call the framing place and insist they fix it tonight. I  didn't really care that Claudio was supposed to get off work at 5:30 - he could stay there all night as far as I was concerned -but this WOULD be fixed by 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. 

Sadly, BOTH copies of the publication had been mutilated - the title caption area unusable.  THAT is what happened - he freakin' ruined them on accident and then tried to play it off.  I'm furious.  But honestly - my anxiety runs high right now and it is what it is and it cannot be resolved before tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.  I just will make a mental note to phone the manager and express my dissatisfaction with Claudio and explain what happened and then tell ALL my friends to NOT get their custom framing done at that place.  UNLESS they make it right by getting another copy and re-doing the whole thing at no charge. THEN I will tell everyone how amazing their service is.  My gut told me that day I dropped it off that this would not end well.  Should have made an excuse to get out of dodge back then and go elsewhere.  And if this is the worst thing that happens tomorrow then I'm cool with that. 

Back to ROWE.  The frequency of time-off requests is staring me straight in the face lately.  Screaming at me actually.  Today - I had one person who wanted/needed to work from home.  2 people that put vacation requests on my desk.  1 person ask if they could attend a personal meeting for about an hour.  One person request to change their flex schedule.  1 person ask for intermittent time off to juggle personal commitments and 1 person needing to leave ASAP due to family medical emergency.  I have no clue how many similar requests/issues my colleague encountered today.  Bless these peoples' hearts - they are BEGGING - CRYING - PLEADING for control of their time.  I really, sincerely, honestly, hope tomorrow brings hope and joy to their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment