Thursday, September 23, 2010

Move Day Tomorrow!

Well, the group made it through their first collaboration effort - that which involved figuring out how to handle inbound customer calls to ensure that a live body was always reached.  Despite the hatred and discontent I was told was running wild through the group over this matter and despite threats of implosion - they survived.  And best of all, they delivered to me a written plan to achieve these results!  I knew they could do it.  Hopefully the next go around, they will also believe in themselves.

But alas, the phone lines have not been successfully ported to the new provider, so we are still farting around with old technology and such, and tomorrow we physically move our offices and lose our existing phone system/provider.  But guess what?!  On their own, and without any instruction, they devised a contingency plan!  They're really starting to get the hang of this "think like a responsible adult" thing! 

As I mentioned, tomorrow we physically move offices.  Rather than assign seating at the new location, we posted the layout and had everyone select their own space.  I posted the document in Google Docs online and watched the flurry of activity as everyone opened the document and quickly claimed their space.  It was funny to watch.  Quite a few people stuck to their "group" and arranged themselves neatly beside each other as they currently are.  Others took the opportunity to remove themselves from others and try to isolate themself from those with whom they don't necessarily get along, or care to be beside.  One person has yet to claim a space, so I guess she'll just take the one that's left open.  It's a shame she doesn't open her email more often.  Always about 10 steps behind everyone else because she lives in her own little world and doesn't follow email.  She'll learn.  Or maybe it just doesn't matter that much to her.

I did have to laugh as I noticed my Dwight placed himself front and center in the office.  That way he could see everyone that comes and goes and everyone could have a good view of him - right outside of the CEO's office.  It's comical.  He's so transparent.  I wonder what would happen if he were the only person to use the office as a tool for several days.  Would he absolutely wither without the audience?  Or would he start phoning people and making up shit to get attention? 

My role is changing some in that I'm doing less "doing" of the work, and more delegating.  Which is something I always needed to do anyway, but never could bring myself to let loose of that much control.  It's getting easier for me, though and I'm trusting my staff more.  My days consist more of managing, touching base with people, checking the status of things, moving obstacles or coaching.  It's been an adjustment for me - but I'm enjoying it.  Some days I feel as if I'm not working.  As if I'm not achieving results.  And it's on those days that I have to remind myself that THIS is what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing - coaching, mentoring, delegating, empowering.  It just feels weird.  I mentioned to my boss that I was working on a project and he asked, "WHY?  Why are YOU working on that?"  Ummm - because my help was needed?  He wasn't upset that I was working on the project - just seemed put out that I was actually participating in the activity rather than managing it or delegating it. 

There are days/weeks I don't even leave the house.  EVER.  And being somewhat of a recluse to begin with, I'm finding that I become agitated when I do have to leave the house.  I need to make it a point to incorporate some type of outing each day to avoid total Howard Hughes status in the near future.  Yesterday it occurred to me that I sit in silence (sans the occasional phone call) most of the day.  Talking to my dog.  (Who loves the attention, BTW).  There is no laughter, no socializing.  And then I missed the buzz of an office.  The laughter.  The fun.  The commaraderie.  But quickly I remembered:  I didn't feel those things at the office to begin with.  I haven't for years.  I've always had to somewhat separate myself from those activities because I am the boss.  And I was more lonely THERE than I am here, at home, alone.  Then I reminded myself that work is not a family and if I was really yearning for some social interaction - I could just as easily hook up with my staff for their update meetings in person instead of on the phone.  I think I might suggest that to a few of them in the coming week.  It's fall.  The weather is beautiful.  It should be enjoyed and not ignored.  I can be a complete recluse when it's 10 below out. 

The boss asked yesterday if we feel or see that anyone is completely off track or if anything is completely being ignored.  I have not had any of these feelings.  I see my staff getting things done - the things I feel are important.  My days are not typically filled with garbage and drama and I just see the results.  I hope that soon others will start to filter the "shit" from their lives and just set their sights on the results only.  They'll really find themselves so much happier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment