Friday, June 25, 2010

The First Weekend

I didn't reply to the boss's email.  I want him to think more about my questions and give them some thought rather than just engage in email warfare with him.  It's like a game - the next person to speak loses.  So I'm sitting quietly.  But I've been talking quite a bit with my colleague and learned that he has had the same feelings of death by boredom for the last year also.  And we both believe that WE are perpetuating this throughout the entire culture and through our staff.  So we have agreed to immediately take action and start doing things a different way.  Starting this coming Monday. 

I've always approached my career and management style in a somewhat unorthodox manner - and somehow I've become this cookie cutter pain in the ass shitty manager.  MANAGER.  I used to be a leader.  I used to lead my people to success. Now I just manager their unwanted behavior and actions every day.  THAT is the first thing that has to change.  And it's up to ME to lead that change and help them find their way back to the desirable behavior.  So I have been spending alot of time trying to brainstorm on the best course of action to take first with regard to setting change into motion. 

And it occurred to me - I decided to change when I realized that I had a problem - that I was bored, unchallenged - going through the motions.  So it would only stand to reason that they, also, must have this same epiphany before they can set their mind to change.  But HOW?  Then it hit me!  "The Little Prince" - I had just read it this week and I've been trying to make sense of it ever since.  In my effort to break it down chapter by chapter and analyze it in pieces, I re-read chapter 14 - the fifth planet.  The lamplighter.  The little man who just continually put out and relit the street lamp because of "orders" when there was really no longer a reason to do so.  BINGO!  That's it!  I have to catch these people's attention - I have to do something so far out of the box when I broach this subject with them that they will pay attention.  So, in my staff meeting this coming Tuesday, rather than the mundane tedium of having them each tell me what they're working on and me telling them to get it going faster, I'm going to throw all caution to the wind and read this to them.  (Just that one chapter) - and then I'm going to challenge each of them to be honest with me and tell me if that is how they feel about their job.  Because I do.  So I want to know if they do.  And if they do, which I suspect they do, I am next going to challenge each of them to make a list of the tasks they do on a daily basis at work and then next to the task state the value of that task to the company. 

This should help us get on an even playing field with regard to how the company values tasks and how they value tasks.  Perhaps they have valid points and some tasks are of no value. Fair enough - I'm willing to abandon crap that doesn't add value.  Even if I thought of it.  But maybe, just maybe - they don't understand the value of their work to the company.  So this will open the door to me explaining the value so they can understand and perhaps feel better about their tasks. 

I'm pretty pumped about this idea and can hardly wait for Tuesday!  But I'm not wishing away the days between now and then!  It's the weekend, afterall! 

1 comment:

  1. Your idea... You passion... Is giving me flutters in my stomach because it reminds me so much of who you used to be and I'm so proud of seeing you recapture that. I read through your questions, and while I know a lot has changed since I was there, I feel strongly that you are on the right track.

    I am lucky enough to be part of the leadership in a company now that has gone through this process and acknowledges and rewards based on results and competency vs. length of time... And the investment I feel in my own success, my superiors feel in my development, and the passion I CAN inspire in the people who work for me makes every single day worth it.

    Successful leaders inspire people to follow them, they don't demand it or use it as a threat. I learned that in practice from you as that is always how you have lead.

    I can't wait to hear how your meeting goes!

    -"paige"

    ("Waiting for Godot" is a play about some of the same. Two men, Vladimir and Estragon, spend day in and day out waiting on a bench for someone they've been told will come rescue them from the monotony, basically. Sort of like waiting for the perfect leader, the perfect product or the perfect customer who will offer salvation......maybe?)

    ReplyDelete